Every editorial product is independently selected, though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links. Ratings and prices are accurate and items are in stock as of time of publication.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 6 tablespoons warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened, divided
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 to 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Additional butter, melted, optional
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add sugar, 2 tablespoons butter, shortening, egg, salt and 1 cup flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough of the remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/4 hours.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Roll into a 12-in. circle. Melt remaining butter; brush over the dough. Cut into 12 wedges. Roll up wedges from the wide end and curve to form crescents. Place pointed side down 2 in. apart on a greased baking sheet. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to a wire rack. Brush with additional melted butter if desired.
1 each: 131 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 25mg cholesterol, 132mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate, 1g fiber), 3g protein.