Golden Cornish Hens
I clipped this recipe out of a newspaper many years ago, altering it to fit my family's taste, i.e. mainly increasing the amount of both the pineapple and raisins. This is an easy, hearty entree with a nice old-fashioned flavor to fix for the holidays.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 2 hours
- 1 package (6 ounces) long grain and wild rice mix
- 1 can (8 ounces) unsweetened crushed pineapple
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 6 Cornish game hens (20 to 24 ounces each)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons honey
- Prepare rice mix according to package directions. Drain pineapple, reserving juice; set aside. Stir pineapple and raisins into rice.
- Just before baking, loosely stuff each hen with 3/4 cup rice mixture; tie legs together with kitchen string. Place hens, breast side up, on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Brush with butter; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1-3/4 to 2 hours or until a thermometer reads 180° for hens and 165° for stuffing.
- In a small saucepan, bring honey and reserved pineapple juice to a boil. Remove from the heat. Baste over hens. Bake 15 minutes longer or until golden brown.