Golden Corn Puff
My mother-in-law shared this recipe with me. It's something different and very simple to make. My husband, Rich, and I especially like it because corn is our favorite vegetable.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + cooling Bake: 40 min.
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen corn, thawed
- 1 large tomato, seeded and chopped
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- In a skillet, saute corn and tomato in 1 tablespoon butter until tomato is heated through; set aside. In a large saucepan, melt the remaining butter; stir in flour, salt, pepper and cayenne until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Add cheese and the reserved corn mixture.
- In a small bowl, beat egg yolks until thick and lemon-colored, about 3 minutes. Stir in 1/3 cup hot corn mixture; return all to the pan. Cool to room temperature.
- In another bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Add cream of tartar: beat until stiff peaks form. Gently fold into corn mixture.
- Transfer to a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until thermometer reads 160° and top is golden brown. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.