Golden Coconut Peach Pie
This peaches-and-cream pie once captured the blue ribbon at the Iowa State Fair. It always disappears fast!
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 55 min.
- 4 to 4-1/2 cups sliced fresh peaches
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 unbaked pie shell (9 inches)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- In a large bowl, combine peaches, sugar, flour, nutmeg, salt and juice. Pour into pie shell; dot with butter. Bake at 450° for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine remaining ingredients. Pour over hot filling. Reduce heat to 350° and bake until coconut is toasted, about 40 minutes. Serve warm or chilled. Store in the refrigerator.