Golden Chicken and Rice Dinner
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2-1/3 cups water
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Chopped fresh parsley
- Coat chicken pieces with flour. In a large skillet, brown chicken in oil on both sides. In a large bowl, combine the water, rice, milk, salt, poultry seasoning and pepper. Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Top with chicken.
- Cover tightly with foil. Bake at 350° for 35-45 minutes or until rice and chicken are tender. Sprinkle with parsley.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 335 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 47mg cholesterol, 452mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 20g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 29, 2011
This recipe was in an old TOH compilation of recipes, but it used a cut up chicken instead of b/s breasts in the original recipe. I prefer using bone-in chicken pieces - I take off the skin and all the fat I can - and I add a can of mushroom soup and either chopped fresh onion, a couple tablespoons of onion soup mix, or about a tablespoon or so of dried onion flakes. I also find that I need to bake it longer - maybe as much as 30 minutes more - or there is some slightly raw rice in it. You can add one half extra cup of either milk or water, too. It is a rather bland dish, but it has a comforting appeal and isn't too much work to put together. Sometimes comfort and ease of preparation is what I'm looking for! It makes lots, too, and is filling.
Aug 10, 2011
This is a favorite of my husbands. He cannot stand real spicy food, and when he is having a bad time with his tummy, this meal makes him smile.
Jun 20, 2011
Very bland....I made for Father's Day dinner and the only 2 who liked it were the ones that had special diets...no seasonings to speak of, no pizzazz