Golden Cheese Soup
This is my adaptation of a recipe served at a popular local restaurant. The large serving size comes in handy for large family gatherings and church socials.—Marilyn Hillam, Brigham City, Utah
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 10 min.
- 2-1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1-1/4 cups butter, cubed
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 cups cornstarch
- 2-1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 5 teaspoons salt
- 2-1/2 teaspoons pepper
- 5 quarts chicken broth
- 5 quarts milk
- 5 cups chopped carrots, cooked
- 5 cups chopped celery, cooked
- 10 cups (2-1/2 pounds) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2-1/2 cups chopped fresh parsley
- In a large Dutch oven over medium heat, saute onion in butter until tender. Combine flour, cornstarch, paprika, salt and pepper; stir into pan until a smooth paste forms. Gradually add broth, stirring constantly. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Gradually add milk, stirring constantly. Add carrots, celery and cheese. Cook and stir over low heat until cheese is melted and soup is heated through. Add parsley just before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 222 calories, 15g fat (10g saturated fat), 50mg cholesterol, 855mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 1g fiber), 10g protein.
Originally published as Golden Cheese Soup in Taste of Home October/November 1995
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.