Golden Cheese/Broccoli Chowder
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 pound fresh broccoli, chopped
- CHEESE SAUCE:
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 4 cups milk
- Hot pepper sauce, optional
- 1 pound cubed Velveeta or 4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- In large saucepan, combine the water, carrots, celery and onion. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Add broccoli; cook, uncovered, until broccoli is crisp-tender.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in large saucepan; stir in the flour, salt and pepper and milk until smooth. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until mixture is thickened. Add pepper sauce if desired. Stir in the cheese; cook and stir until melted. Add the ham and undrained vegetables; stir until blended.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 317 calories, 22g fat (13g saturated fat), 68mg cholesterol, 1281mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 2g fiber), 16g protein.
Jul 24, 2018
Terrific recipe! Easy and my whole family loved it. Ham and carrots really added to it.
Jul 7, 2017
This is one pf my favorite chowders. This chowder warms the soul on a winter day. Weve been asked for the recipe for this heart warming soup.
Nov 22, 2011
the combination of cheddar cheese, broccoli and ham, along with a touch of hot sauce (I use Louisiana hot sauce) makes a really delicious chowder. I use shredded sharp cheddar and substitute cayenne pepper for the white pepper. I have been making this for years and my whole family loves it!