- 2 cups water
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 pound fresh broccoli, washed and chopped
- CHEESE SAUCE:
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons salt or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 4 cups milk
- Tabasco sauce, as desired
- 1 pound processed cheese spread, cut in 1/2-inch cubes or 4 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 2 cups ham, cut in 1/2-inch cubes
- In large saucepan, combine water, celery, carrots and onion. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for about 5 minutes or until tender/crisp. Add broccoli; cook until broccoli is tender/crisp, about 4-5 minutes. (To keep broccoli bright green, leave the cover slightly ajar.) Do not drain vegetables. To make sauce, melt butter in large saucepan; blend in flour, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring for 1 minutes. Stir in milk; cook until mixture thickens. Add several drops of Tabasco sauce if desired. stir in the cheese and cook until melted; add the ham cubes. Combine cheese mixture with undrained vegetables; stir to blend. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews forGolden Cheese/Broccoli Chowder
"This is one pf my favorite chowders. This chowder warms the soul on a winter day. Weve been asked for the recipe for this heart warming soup."
"the combination of cheddar cheese, broccoli and ham, along with a touch of hot sauce (I use Louisiana hot sauce) makes a really delicious chowder. I use shredded sharp cheddar and substitute cayenne pepper for the white pepper. I have been making this for years and my whole family loves it!"