Golden Cheddar Muffins
Since receiving this fuss-free recipe from a wonderful cook at work, I've make these savory muffins for many a holiday dinner and brunch. They are moist and tender and always a hit with my guests!
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons spicy brown mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Combine the egg, buttermilk, butter, mustard and hot pepper sauce; stir into the dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in cheese.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm. Refrigerate any leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 175 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 42mg cholesterol, 347mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Golden Cheddar Muffins in Country Woman Christmas 2004
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.