Golden Cheddar Muffins
Since receiving this fuss-free recipe from a wonderful cook at work, I've make these savory muffins for many a holiday dinner and brunch. They are moist and tender and always a hit with my guests!
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons spicy brown mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Combine the egg, buttermilk, butter, mustard and hot pepper sauce; stir into the dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in cheese.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm. Refrigerate any leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 175 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 42mg cholesterol, 347mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Golden Cheddar Muffins in Country Woman Christmas 2004