Golden Caraway Rye Bread
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 30 min. + cooling
Makes4 loaves (16 slices each)
- 4 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 4 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 6 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 cups rye flour
- 10 to 11 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup caraway seeds
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, sugars, shortening, molasses and salt. Add rye flour and 4 cups all-purpose flour; beat until smooth. Stir in caraway seeds and enough remaining all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a very large bowl coated with cooking spray, or divide between two large bowls coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into four portions. Shape into four loaves. Place each loaf in a 9x5-in. loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 105 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 225mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
May 12, 2019
Excellent!! I made a half recipe and it turned out great. I baked the loaves in 8x4-in loaf pans and it worked great!
Apr 26, 2014
Outstanding! The end result is two tender, lofty, flavorful loaves - great for sandwiches. I did halve the recipe (using 2 T = half 1/4 cup) and it worked just fine. This recipe is a keeper!
Dec 11, 2008
I absolutely love this bread. It is Deeeelicious!Cara