Golden Caraway Puffs
Here’s a wonderful accompaniment for steaming bowls of soup, chili or stew. Dotted with caraway seeds and bits of onion, the savory little puffs bake in a standard muffin pan.—Joan Antonen, Arlington, South Dakota
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 15 min.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup 4% cottage cheese, warmed (110° to 115°)
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons grated onion
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In a large bowl, combine cottage cheese, egg, sugar, butter, onion, caraway seeds, salt, baking soda, yeast mixture and 1-1/3 cups flour; beat on low speed 30 seconds. Beat on high 4 minutes. Stir in remaining flour. Do not knead. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Stir down batter. Spoon into 12 greased muffin cups. Cover with a kitchen towel; let rise in a warm place until almost doubled, about 40 minutes. Preheat oven to 375°.
- Bake 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool in pan 1 minute before removing to a wire rack; serve warm.
Originally published as Caraway Puffs in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2014