Golden Butternut Squash Soup
I created this soup for my vegan relatives for Christmas Eve, but everyone ended up loving it, too! It's so creamy and delicious. —Susan Sabia, Windsor, California
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups cubed peeled butternut squash
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red or yellow pepper, chopped
- 1 medium Gala apple, peeled and chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons vegetable base
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1. In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add squash, carrots, red pepper, apple and onion; cook and stir until crisp-tender, 8-10 minutes. Stir in water, vegetable base and seasonings. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, until vegetables are tender, 8-10 minutes. Stir in almond milk.
- 2. Puree soup using an immersion blender. Or, cool soup slightly and puree in batches in a blender; return to pan and heat through.
1 cup: 110 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 486mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.
May 26, 2019This soup has been a life-saver lately for a gastric disease has made eating solid food almost impossible. This soup is fantastic! Sometimes I cook up any leftover veggie and cook and puree with the squash. Freezes easily. Tastes great with crumbled bacon.
Feb 19, 2019good one
© 2020 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC