My rich, saucy lasagna features winter squash at its finest. The whipped cream topping adds a unique twist to this meatless casserole packed with roasted butternut squash, two kinds of cheese and a host of seasonings. Allow the lasagna to stand 10-15 minutes before serving for ease in cutting. —Lisa Sheets, Carmel, Indiana
Featured In: 17 Thanksgiving Dinner Recipes for a Crowd
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 medium butternut squash (3 pounds), peeled, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 9 lasagna noodles
- 3-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1/4 cup fresh rosemary leaves
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 ounces fontina cheese, thinly sliced
- 1-1/2 cups grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- Divide squash between two greased 15x10x1-in. baking pans. Drizzle with oil and toss to coat. Bake, uncovered, at 425° for 20-25 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, cook noodles according to package directions. In a small saucepan, combine milk and rosemary. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Strain, reserving milk, and set aside. Discard rosemary.
- In a Dutch oven, saute garlic in butter for 1 minute. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until blended. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Set aside 1 cup sauce. Stir squash into remaining sauce.
- Drain noodles. Spread reserved 1 cup sauce into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Layer with three noodles, half of the squash mixture, half of the fontina cheese and 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese. Repeat layers. Top with remaining noodles. Beat cream until soft peaks form. Spread over top. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese.
- Cover and bake at 375° for 30 minutes. Uncover; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until bubbly and golden brown. Let stand for 15 minutes before serving. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Golden Butternut Squash Lasagna in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2013, p95