- 3/4 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrots
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Cut tips off asparagus and set aside; cut stalks into 1-1/2-in. pieces. In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add carrots and asparagus stalk pieces; cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the broth, parsley, basil, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Cool slightly.
- In a blender, cover and process soup until blended. Return to pan. Stir in asparagus tips; cook for 8-10 minutes or until tender. Yield: 2 servings.
Reviews forGolden Asparagus Soup
"Very good! I too halved the butter and used reduced sodium/fat chicken broth . Loved the tender whole asparagus tips. Will make again soon."
"First try at making any soup with asparagus - don't believe I'll try any other. The taste is scrumptious with just the right amount of thickness. Low calorie and everyday ingredients. A definite "have again"."
"For the past few weks, Our local market has had asparagus on sale for $.99 a pound! My husband and I have enjoyed it quite often lately and agreed this soup is our favorite! Perfect Lenten supper with good Wisconsin cheese and crackers!"
"A very good and healthy recipe using ingredients that are typically on hand for me. Will definitely make again."
"So yummy! I leave out a tablespoon of butter to cut some calories and fat but still tastes wonderful! thanks for a great recipe"