Golden Apricot Scones
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup cold butter, cubed
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 3/4 cup finely chopped dried apricots
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon quick-cooking oats
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- Additional sugar
- In a bowl, combine the dry ingredients; cut in butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs. In a small bowl, beat eggs; set aside 1 tablespoon for glaze. In another bowl, combine sour cream, milk and remaining beaten eggs; add apricots. Stir into crumb mixture until the dough clings together.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead 12-15 times. Divide dough in half. Pat one portion into a 7-in. circle on a greased baking sheet. Combine the brown sugar, oats and butter; sprinkle over dough. Roll out remaining dough into a 7-in. circle; place over filling.
- Brush with reserved egg; sprinkle with additional sugar. Cut into wedges but do not separate. Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until scones are golden brown. Cool slightly; cut again if necessary. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 395 calories, 16g fat (9g saturated fat), 110mg cholesterol, 429mg sodium, 55g carbohydrate (24g sugars, 3g fiber), 7g protein.
Feb 11, 2015
The first time I made these, I followed the recipe exactly. They were very good, in fact my fiance loved them, and ate most of them. I decided to make a cinnamon raisin version the second time. I added a 1/2 tsp cinnamon to the dough, substituted raisins, added a dash of cinnamon to the filling, and sprinkled cinnamon and sugar on top. I also added a little more salt than the recipe called for, and they were amazing!!! I can't wait to play with the recipe some more. I think I will try apples next. Thank you so much for sharing!
Jun 29, 2014
These were very nice. I didn't do the filling and I used old fashioned oats. We really enjoyed them. Tasted great with a hot cup of tea!
Mar 17, 2010
These are delicious and moist! Perfect to sit down and enjoy with a cup of coffee and nice enough for company or brunches!
Feb 26, 2010
very moist and enjoy the taste
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.