Golden Apricot Scones
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup cold butter, cubed
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 3/4 cup finely chopped dried apricots
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon quick-cooking oats
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- Additional sugar
- In a bowl, combine the dry ingredients; cut in butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs. In a small bowl, beat eggs; set aside 1 tablespoon for glaze. In another bowl, combine sour cream, milk and remaining beaten eggs; add apricots. Stir into crumb mixture until the dough clings together.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead 12-15 times. Divide dough in half. Pat one portion into a 7-in. circle on a greased baking sheet. Combine the brown sugar, oats and butter; sprinkle over dough. Roll out remaining dough into a 7-in. circle; place over filling.
- Brush with reserved egg; sprinkle with additional sugar. Cut into wedges but do not separate. Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until scones are golden brown. Cool slightly; cut again if necessary. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 395 calories, 16g fat (9g saturated fat), 110mg cholesterol, 429mg sodium, 55g carbohydrate (24g sugars, 3g fiber), 7g protein.
Feb 11, 2015
The first time I made these, I followed the recipe exactly. They were very good, in fact my fiance loved them, and ate most of them. I decided to make a cinnamon raisin version the second time. I added a 1/2 tsp cinnamon to the dough, substituted raisins, added a dash of cinnamon to the filling, and sprinkled cinnamon and sugar on top. I also added a little more salt than the recipe called for, and they were amazing!!! I can't wait to play with the recipe some more. I think I will try apples next. Thank you so much for sharing!
Jun 29, 2014
These were very nice. I didn't do the filling and I used old fashioned oats. We really enjoyed them. Tasted great with a hot cup of tea!
Mar 17, 2010
These are delicious and moist! Perfect to sit down and enjoy with a cup of coffee and nice enough for company or brunches!
Feb 26, 2010
very moist and enjoy the taste