Gold Nugget Carrot Cake
Old-fashioned and heavenly are words to describe this moist, spicy carrot cake. Be prepared; your company will want seconds! —Barbara Estabrook, Appleton, Wisconsin
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup orange marmalade
- 1-1/2 teaspoons almond extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 4 ounces white baking chocolate, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup chopped almonds
- 1/3 cup finely chopped crystallized ginger
- 11 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons orange marmalade
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup finely chopped crystallized ginger
- 1. Line two 9-in. round baking pans with waxed paper; grease and flour the pans and paper. Set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, beat the first five ingredients until well blended. Combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, baking soda and nutmeg; gradually beat into sugar mixture until blended. Stir in the carrots, chocolate, almonds and ginger. Transfer to prepared pans.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 4. For frosting, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Add the confectioners' sugar, marmalade and cinnamon; beat until smooth. Stir in ginger.
- 5. Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with 1 cup frosting. Top with remaining cake layer. Frost top and sides of cake. Store in the refrigerator.
1 slice: 579 calories, 32g fat (9g saturated fat), 70mg cholesterol, 338mg sodium, 69g carbohydrate (48g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein.
Jun 13, 2015
Very decadent & delicious!
© 2020 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC