Goat Cheese & Pear Stuffed Tenderloin
Fresh pears provide a bit of sweetness to a special stuffing for beef tenderloin and beautifully balances the arugula and goat cheese.—Cindie Haras, Boca Raton, Florida
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 40 min. + standing
Makes8 servings (3/4 cup sauce)
- 2 medium pears, peeled and sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 beef tenderloin roast (2-1/2 pounds)
- 1 cup fresh arugula or baby spinach
- 1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon each minced fresh parsley, basil and tarragon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1/2 cup sherry
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh tarragon
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons cold water
- In a large skillet, saute pears in butter until tender.
- Cut a lengthwise slit down the center of the tenderloin to within 1/2 in. of bottom. Open tenderloin so it lies flat. On each half, make another lengthwise slit down the center to within 1/2 in. of bottom; open roast and cover with plastic wrap. Flatten to 1/2-in. thickness. Remove plastic.
- Spread the pears, arugula, cheese and herbs over meat to within 1 in. of edge. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side. Tie the roast at 1-1/2-inch intervals with kitchen string.
- Place on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Combine the oil, salt and pepper; rub over roast. Bake at 425° for 40-50 minutes or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°). Let stand for 15 minutes before slicing.
- In a small saucepan, saute shallots in butter until tender. Add sherry; cook over low heat for 4 minutes. Add broth and tarragon. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; gradually stir into the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Serve with beef.
Nutrition Facts4 ounce-weight: 392 calories, 21g fat (11g saturated fat), 91mg cholesterol, 232mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 37g protein.
Originally published as Beef Tenderloin Stuffed with Pear, Goat Cheese and Arugula in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2010
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.