Go for the Grains Casserole Recipe
- 5 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1/2 cup bulgur
- 1/3 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine carrots, corn, onion, barley, bulgur, parsley, salt and pepper. Stir in broth and beans. Transfer to a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- 2. Cover and bake 50-55 minutes or until grains are tender, stirring once. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake, uncovered, 3-5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 10 servings.
3/4 cup: 226 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 741mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 8g fiber), 12g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable.
Reviews for Go for the Grains Casserole
"Very good and different."
"I don't have many recipes that use barley or bulgur, and this one's a keeper! I've made it a number of times and love it."
"extra cooking time... the prep I didn't clock, but it was more the 25 minute side"
"I added celery, roasted garlic, millet instead of bulgur, and used home-grown ground beef instead of the beans, but would do it with the beans in a heartbeat. It took extra time for me, too - 20-25 minutes. No cheese. My husband's thrilled!"
"This is sooo yummy!!"
"This is a good casserole that really filled me up. For a twist, I added chopped tomatoes from my garden."
"I had to cook it for about 15-20 min more then the recipe states before adding the cheese."
"This dish is delicious. I will definitely make this one again. I agree with the comment that it was love at first bite. Besides the bright colors of the ingredients, it was well worth waiting an hour for, my husband said the house smelled so good when he got home from work, he couldn't wait to eat."
"the prep time on this is NOT 25 minutes, it's more like 5 minutes. This receipe reheats very well."