Gnocchi with Hearty Meat Sauce
When time’s at a premium, this hearty, full-flavored meat sauce, mellowed with a hint of wine, can make something special of quick, packaged gnocchi. Thanks to our Test Kitchen!
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 package (16 ounces) potato gnocchi
- 1 package (19-1/2 ounces) Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 1 large green pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large sweet red pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup dry red wine or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- Cook gnocchi according to package directions. Meanwhile, crumble the sausage into a large nonstick skillet; add peppers. Cook over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and peppers are tender; drain.
- Add wine; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste and brown sugar; heat through. Drain gnocchi; serve with meat sauce.
Editor's Note: Look for potato gnocchi in the pasta, ethnic or frozen section of your grocery store.
Editor's NoteLook for potato gnocchi in the pasta or frozen foods section.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 371 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 56mg cholesterol, 1022mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 4g fiber), 22g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 2 vegetable.
Originally published as Gnocchi with Hearty Tomato Sauce in Light & Tasty February/March 2007
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.