Gnocchi with Hearty Meat Sauce
When time’s at a premium, this hearty, full-flavored meat sauce, mellowed with a hint of wine, can make something special of quick, packaged gnocchi. Thanks to our Test Kitchen!
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 package (16 ounces) potato gnocchi
- 1 package (19-1/2 ounces) Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 1 large green pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large sweet red pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup dry red wine or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- Cook gnocchi according to package directions. Meanwhile, crumble the sausage into a large nonstick skillet; add peppers. Cook over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and peppers are tender; drain.
- Add wine; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste and brown sugar; heat through. Drain gnocchi; serve with meat sauce.
Editor's Note: Look for potato gnocchi in the pasta, ethnic or frozen section of your grocery store.
Editor's NoteLook for potato gnocchi in the pasta or frozen foods section.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 371 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 56mg cholesterol, 1022mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 4g fiber), 22g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 2 vegetable.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Gnocchi with Hearty Tomato Sauce in Light & Tasty February/March 2007