Gluten-Free Toffee Bars
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 15 min. + standing
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup white rice flour
- 1/3 cup potato starch
- 1/3 cup tapioca flour
- 4-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 4-1/2 teaspoons garbanzo and fava flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons xanthan gum
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
- In a small bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg yolk; mix well. Beat in applesauce and vanilla. In a small bowl, combine the rice flour, potato starch, tapioca flour, cornstarch, garbanzo and fava flour, xanthan gum and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Spread into a 15x10x1-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned. Sprinkle with chocolate chips; let stand for 5 minutes. Spread chocolate chips over bars. Sprinkle with pecans. Let stand until chocolate is set. Cut into bars.
Editor's NoteRead all ingredient labels for possible gluten content prior to use. Ingredient formulas can change, and production facilities vary among brands. If you’re concerned that your brand may contain gluten, contact the company.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 136 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 94mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 13, 2013
I haven't made this recipe, but I wanted to let you know that according to the Diamond of California rep, their nuts are processed on shared equipment with items that contain wheat. Although they do clean the equipment, there is still a chance that gluten could be present. We order all our certified gluten free nuts from Nuts.com just to be safe :)
Dec 9, 2013
These taske exactly like the gluten-full version I used to make.
Nov 5, 2010
Some people use equal amounts of milled flax seed in place of xanthan gum.
Oct 19, 2009
Well worth the effort!
Oct 18, 2009
I haven't tried this recipe. I have one question or more...can this recipe be fixed without the xanthan gum?My husband is gluten intolerant, but I have allergy to the vegetable gums..i.e. xantan, guar, etc.
Oct 2, 2009
Thank you for the recipes. A very good friend of mine has recently discovered 2 of her children have celiac disease and is struggling for help.
Sep 25, 2009
www.glutenfreeda.com has many recipes that are very good and well tested. give it a try.
Jun 11, 2009
i was wondering if any of you had recipes for - gluten freeplease email [email protected] crustall purpose flour mixany recipes
May 2, 2009
My Son-In-Law just found out he is gluten intolerent. These bars were wonderful for the whole family. He didn't feel left out of a special dessert. Will definately make these many times. Thanks for these recepies.