Gluten-Free Peanut Butter Kiss Cookies Recipe
- 1/4 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 1-1/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup white rice flour
- 1/2 cup potato starch
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 48 milk chocolate kisses
- 1. In a large bowl, cream shortening, brown sugar and peanut butter until light and fluffy. Beat in egg, applesauce and vanilla (mixture will appear curdled).
- 2. In another bowl, whisk rice flour, potato starch, tapioca flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Refrigerate 1 hour.
- 3. Preheat oven to 375°. Shape dough into 1-in. balls; place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake 9-11 minutes or until slightly cracked. Immediately press a chocolate kiss into the center of each cookie. Cool on pans 2 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 4 dozen.
1 cookie: 98 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 67mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.
Reviews for Gluten-Free Peanut Butter Kiss Cookies
"I made these for my niece that can't have gluten. She was overjoyed! I really liked them too."
"I did not want to buy 3 types of flour so I just used 1 3/4 cup of brown rice flour. I thought they turned out a little bit dry but still good"
"Absolutely wonderful cookies. I used canola oil instead of shortening they turned out wonderful. Will certainly make again."
"I just started cooking gluten free and am at a high altitude, so I wasn't sure if these would be good... but they're absolutely delicious! The mile high altitude here didn't pose a problem at all. The flavor is incredible - peanut butter and chocolate are my all time favorites, and my family's too. I will make these often! I didn't have the individual flours and potato starch, so I used 1 3/4 c of Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Flour and the appropriate amt. of xanthan gum. Perfect!"
"I MADE THE quick AND easy COOKIES SUGGESTED BY A READER. 1 C P.B. 1 C SUGAR 1 EGG 1 TSP VANILLA 3/4 C MINI SEMI.SWEET CHOC CHIPS. MIX WITH SPOON ADD CHIPS MAKE INTO 1 INCH BALLS bake ON UNGREASED SHEET 8 TO 10 MINS. I USED GENERIC CRUNCHY P.B. AND THESE TURNED OUT VERY GOOD, MELTED IN YOUR MOUTH EXCEPT FOR THE PEANUTS & CHIPS. MY SON WILL LOVE THEM THO TOO MUCH SUGAR MAKES HIM ITCH"
"I have a gluten free recipe just like this one but its very simple. its 1 cup peanut butter, 1 cup sugar, 1 egg and 1 tsp vanilla and then the choc kisses.. blend all together bake 350 for 8-10 minutes then add the kiss.. I got it from a Taste of Home magazine a long time ago but havent found it online yet."
"do you have any gluten free recipes that don't use so many different kinds of flours or starches"
"My family had no idea these were gluten-free and all enjoyed very much!"
"A wonderful gluten-free treat that everyone could enjoy...and they taste just like the originals!"