Gluten-Free Gingerbread Loaves
I only cook and bake gluten-free foods, and when I give these molasses-spiked loaves to friends, no one can taste the difference. —Erin Mendelssohn, La Quinta, California
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
Makes3 mini loaves (6 slices each)
- 3/4 cup molasses
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2-1/2 cups gluten-free all-purpose baking flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons xanthan gum
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a small bowl, combine molasses and boiling water; set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs. Gradually add molasses mixture. Combine the flour, xanthan gum, ginger, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture.
- Transfer to three 5-3/4x3x2-in. loaf pans coated with cooking spray. Bake at 325° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
Editor's NoteRead all ingredient labels for possible gluten content prior to use. Ingredient formulas can change, and production facilities vary among brands. If you’re concerned that your brand may contain gluten, contact the company.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 170 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 37mg cholesterol, 176mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 2g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.
Originally published as Gluten Free Gingerbread in Healthy Cooking December/January 2013
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.