Gluten-Free Banana Nut Muffins
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1-1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (2 to 3 medium)
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup fat-free plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup millet flour
- 1/2 cup sorghum flour
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- In a large bowl, beat the first six ingredients until well blended. In a large bowl, combine the flours, flax, baking powder, baking soda and xanthan gum; gradually beat into banana mixture until blended. Stir in walnuts.
- Coat muffin cups with cooking spray or use paper liners; fill three-fourths full with batter. Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
Editor's NoteRead all ingredient labels for possible gluten content prior to use. Ingredient formulas can change, and production facilities vary among brands. If you’re concerned that your brand may contain gluten, contact the company.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 191 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 135mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 9, 2011
Fantastic gf banana muffins - I'm passing on this recipe to my mother it's so wonderful!
Dec 28, 2010
These are wonderful light and fluffy muffins with excellent flavor. I have had a lot of trouble with gluten free recipes and this one is a sure thing.
Jul 30, 2010
What is xanthan gum??? What can you substitute instead. Also, what flours can you use instead of the three listed?????
Apr 10, 2010
These muffins were delicious and o so light! I used a cup and a half of GF mix instead of the 3 separate flours. And I also added a package of plain gelatin to the dry ingredients to help with holding everything together. I would definitely make these again. Thanks for the recipe!