Gluten-Free Autumn Bread
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
Makes1 loaf (16 slices)
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (2 to 3 medium)
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sorghum flour
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- In a large bowl, beat the bananas, brown sugar, applesauce, oil and eggs until well blended. Combine the flours, baking powder, baking soda, xanthan gum, salt and cinnamon; gradually beat into banana mixture until blended. Stir in the carrots, raisins and walnuts.
- Transfer to a 9x5-in. loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
Editor's NoteRead all ingredient labels for possible gluten content prior to use. Ingredient formulas can change, and production facilities vary among brands. If you’re concerned that your brand may contain gluten, contact the company.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 199 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 26mg cholesterol, 212mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat, 1/2 fruit.
Aug 18, 2013
I love it, but does anyone know if I could use 2 cups of gluten-free all purpose flour instead of the other?
Sep 19, 2012
This is a yummy recipe! The second time I made this, I also added a shredded apple along with the carrot and I tossed in a pinch of nutmeg with the cinnamon. I've even replaced the brown sugar with a sugar-free brown sugar subsitute with excellent results. Make it into muffins for a great morning treat. Next time I might try a little crushed pineapple as well. It's a very flexible recipe.
Nov 24, 2011
moist, flavorful, and it makes my husband feel a little bit better about not being able to eat gluten or yeast. Even our non-allergic friends rave about this treat!
Sep 29, 2011
This bread has all the "fall" flavors. Dense.I made mini loafs, and frozen them, since I am the only gluten-free person in the house. Although the others liked them too.
Jan 2, 2011
My fiance and I love love love this recipe!! Taste is wonderful and Yummy! Deffinitely worth making!
Aug 27, 2010
I made this recipe using the alternative with whole wheat flour and all purpose flour. I also used egg substitute instead of eggs. It was a hit even with my kids! It was very moist and delicious! I will be making this again for sure!
Aug 16, 2010
The only change was to reduce the brown sugar to 2/3 cup. No one could tell it was gluten free. The bread baked up beautifully brown and moist. Something I am sure to repeat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.