Gluten-Free Angel Food Cake
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- 1-1/2 cups egg whites (about 10)
- 3/4 cup plus 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup white rice flour
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour
- 1/4 cup potato starch
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Assorted fresh fruit, optional
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Sift 3/4 cup sugar, cornstarch, flours and potato starch together twice; set aside.
- Add cream of tartar, salt and vanilla to egg whites; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, about 2 tablespoons at a time, beating on high until stiff peaks form. Gradually fold in flour mixture, about 1/2 cup at a time.
- Gently spoon into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through the batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake on the lowest oven rack at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until lightly browned and entire top appears dry. Immediately invert pan; cool completely, about 1 hour.
- Run a knife around side and center tube of pan. Remove cake to a serving plate. Top with fresh fruit if desired.
Editor's NoteRead all ingredient labels for possible gluten content prior to use. Ingredient formulas can change, and production facilities vary among brands. If you’re concerned that your brand may contain gluten, contact the company.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 101 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 149mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 0 fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 7, 2018
Awesome! I am horrible at baking gluten free, everything turns out wrong. But this was perfect. I actually used Bob's Red Mill baking flour instead of the flours/starches (it has everything but cornstarch in it) because it seemed like a decent substitute from buying all the different bags/boxes of flours/starches. It only needed to bake about 35 minutes in my oven (which cooks things faster than usual). It is perfect. Added strawberries and whipped cream!
Nov 11, 2016
This is fabulous!!! I often make GF treats for a friend. Some of them have so many ingredients to contend with, or have a yucky aftertaste. This was a quick and easy recipe, and it tastes like my regular Angel Food.Also, some reviews said it was dense, but mine rose really high and had a light, fluffy texture. I wish I could post a photo!
Jun 20, 2015
This recipe is pretty good--it looks beautiful with good texture. Unfortunately after a few bites I really noticed the taste and texture of the cornstarch. Maybe next time I'll decrease to 1 T and increase the rice flour.
Jun 2, 2015
Best angel food cake I have ever eatenhu?lllkkkk
Mar 14, 2015
I'm looking for gluten-free AND sugar-free. Can a sugar substitute like Splenda or Purevia or Swerve be used instead of sugar?
Jan 18, 2015
Unbelievable. Might sound dramatic but I shrieked with glee at first bite! Taste and texture EXACTLY like normal angel food cake. This will be my go to cake in the future. THANKYOU!!!!!!
Dec 14, 2014
Made this for my Celiac husband, who misses his favorite dessert. A little denser than regular angel food cake, but tastes just as delicious. I actually prefer the denseness in this version.
Sep 2, 2014
Can you freeze it?
Jul 2, 2014
I used this recipe to make gluten free angel food cupcakes! They were amazing! I topped them with strawberries and a whipped cream buttercream. I prefer to buy premixed gluten free flours and "Better Batter" worked amazing in this recipe because it had a good mix of tapioca flour, rice flour, and potato starch! So if you don't want to go out and find potato starch and all that, just get Better Batter at a health food store or online and sub it for each flour, a total of 3/4 Cup. :)
Jun 20, 2014
Wonderful! I had to go gluten free almost two years ago, and I have missed angel food cake so much! I made this yesterday and my husband, who does not eat gluten free, said that it tastes EXACTLY like regular angel food cake. He is a tough critic, and he had several slices. Very easy recipe to follow, and ingredients that most people that live GF lifestyle have in their kitchen.