Glorified Hot Dogs
"My parents always made these hot dogs when they barbecued," recalls Cheryl Gillpatrick of Loveland, Colorado. "They were not only a family, but guests liked them, ,too. They're good hot or cold."
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 10 min.
- 1 large whole dill pickle (5 inches)
- 1 block (4 ounces) cheddar or Colby cheese
- 8 hot dogs
- 4 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 8 bacon strips
- 8 hot dog buns
- Cut pickle lengthwise into eight thin slices. Cut cheese into eight 5-in. x 1/2-in. x 1/4-in. sticks. Cut hot dogs in half lengthwise; spread cut surfaces with mustard. On eight hot dog halves, layer a pickle slice and a cheese stick; top with remaining hot dog halves.
- Place one end of a bacon strip at the end of each hot dog; push a toothpick through the bacon and both hot dog pieces. Firmly wrap bacon around each hot dog and secure at the other end with a toothpick.
- Grill, uncovered, over medium heat for 8-10 minutes or until bacon is completely cooked, turning occasionally. Discard toothpicks. Serve in buns.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 366 calories, 24g fat (10g saturated fat), 45mg cholesterol, 1001mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 14g protein.
Originally published as Glorified Hot Dogs in Quick Cooking July/August 2004