Glazed Walnut-Lemon Loaf
Moist and tender, this beautiful loaf looks and tastes like a cross between bread and pound cake. Cooled slices are excellent for tea sandwiches.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- 6 tablespoons shortening
- 1-1/3 cups sugar, divided
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in lemon zest. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk. Fold in walnuts.
- Pour into a greased and floured 9x5-in. loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk lemon juice and remaining sugar until sugar is dissolved; pour over bread. Cool 10 minutes longer; remove from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
Originally published as Lemon Bread in Country Woman Christmas 2007