Glazed Spiced Apples
"My husband and I are watching our fat intake, so I came up with this recipe that's a great side dish with pork," reports Mary Jo Duckworth from Denver, Colorado. "It was a real success."
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 can (12 ounces) diet cream soda
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 teaspoon apple pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 8 large apples, peeled and sliced
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the brown sugar and cornstarch. Stir in the soda, honey, apple pie spice, cinnamon and nutmeg until smooth. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 3-4 minutes or until thickened, stirring after each minute.
- Place apples in a 3-qt. microwave-safe dish; pour sauce over apples. Cover and cook on high for 5-1/2 minutes; stir. Cook, uncovered, 5-1/2 to 8 minutes longer or until apples are tender; stir. Let stand for 5 minutes. Serve warm.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts2/3 cup: 187 calories, 1g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 11mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 5g fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Glazed Spiced Apples in Quick Cooking September/October 2003
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.