Glazed Poppy Seed Bread
Sweet, tender quick breads are a favorite of most bakers, but Joanne Jones of Salisbury, Maryland had a special request regarding her Poppy Seed Bread. “A lot of my co-workers and I are on Weight Watchers and would like to calculate how many points it has. Better yet,” she adds, “could you do a makeover on this recipe?”
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla or almond extract
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup poppy seeds
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, poppy seeds, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture.
- Spread into a greased 9x5-in. loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For glaze, in a small bowl, combine confectioners' sugar and enough milk to achieve desired consistency; drizzle over bread.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 334 calories, 18g fat (10g saturated fat), 112mg cholesterol, 275mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (28g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Poppy Seed Cake in Light & Tasty February/March 2006
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.