Glazed Pineapple Pie Recipe
- 1 can (20 ounces) crushed pineapple
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 3/4 cup flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. Drain pineapple, reserving 1 tablespoon juice for glaze. In a medium bowl, combine pineapple, sugar, flour, lemon juice, butter and salt; mix well and set aside. Line a 9-in. pie pan with the bottom pastry. Sprinkle with coconut. Spread pineapple mixture over coconut. Top with remaining pastry; flute edges and cut slits in top. Bake at 400° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 20 minutes on a wire rack.
- 2. Meanwhile, for glaze, combine confectioners' sugar, vanilla and reserved pineapple juice until smooth. Spread over the top of warm pie. Serve warm or at room temperature. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Editor's Note: To decorate top of pie with cutout as shown in photo, use a small pineapple-shaped cookie cutter to cut shapes from top pastry before placing pastry over filling. Place dough shapes on an ungreased baking sheet and bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until golden (watch closely). Cool slightly; arrange on top of baked pie after glazing.
1 slice: 480 calories, 19g fat (10g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 312mg sodium, 77g carbohydrate (45g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.