Glazed Orange Date Squares
Notes Cincinnati, Ohio field editor Ruth Stoops, "Orange, chocolate and chewy dates make a memorable combination."
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1-1/4 cups chopped dates
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- ORANGE GLAZE:
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- In a saucepan, combine the dates, sugar, water and butter. Simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until dates are softened. Remove from heat; stir in chocolate chips.
- Beat eggs, milk and orange juice. Combine flour, baking soda and salt; add to date mixture alternately with orange juice mixture, mixing well after each addition. Stir in walnuts. Pour into a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool. Combine confectioners' sugar, butter and orange zest; stir in milk until glaze reaches desired consistency. Spread over bars.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 175 calories, 8g fat (4g saturated fat), 23mg cholesterol, 107mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Glazed Orange Date Squares in Taste of Home October/November 1997