Glazed Italian Spice Cookies
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
- 1 cup shortening
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and milk. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in pecans.
- Roll dough into 1-in. balls. Place 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 9-11 minutes or until edges are set. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- For glaze, in a large bowl, beat butter until fluffy. Add the confectioners’ sugar, milk, and extracts; beat until smooth. Spread over cooled cookies.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 90 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 9mg cholesterol, 35mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Feb 22, 2019
My all-time favorite I do double in size for flavored dry ingredients. Also a totally different frosting that many years ago playing around I actually love this over any frosting I've ever had. It's made with confectionery sugar powdered cocoa vanilla and orange extract milk for consistency either thinner or thicker in the blender. I guarantee it will be your favorite too. Thank you for sharing this recipe
Dec 21, 2012
I have a recipe that was handed down from my aunt who was an amazing baker. I decided to try this one to see how they compare. This recipes needs double the spices and more chocolate. I made one batch as is and a second batch using more spice, some orange zest and a bit of orange juice. I added ginger, allspice raisins, double chocolate chips and used walnuts instead of pecans. Next time I'll stick to my Aunt's recipe