Glazed Hot Cross Buns
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + rising Bake: 15 min. + cooling
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3/4 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 3-1/2 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup dried currants or raisins
- 1/4 cup chopped mixed candied peel
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons water
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, sugar, butter, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, egg, egg yolk and 2 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in the currants, candied peel and enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 18 pieces. Shape each into a roll. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 400° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Meanwhile, for glaze, combine sugar and water in small saucepan. Cook and stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Place wire racks over waxed paper; place buns on racks. Brush with warm glaze; cool.
- For icing, combine confectioners' sugar and water in a small bowl. Transfer to a small resealable plastic bag; cut a small hole in a corner of bag. Pipe a cross on top of each bun.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 187 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 200mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 17, 2011
There are not enough spices nor buttery taste. The rolls need to be snipped on the top with a pair of scissors so there will be a deep cross on top. I also add chopped slivers of almonds and a tsp. of almond flavor.