Glazed Ham with Cherry Sauce
Every time I serve this delicious smoked ham with its festive cherry sauce, I hear rave reviews. The glaze adds an impressive, glossy shine and gives the ham especially nice flavor.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 3 hours 20 min.
Makes18 servings (4 cups sauce)
- 1 fully cooked bone-in ham (about 10 pounds)
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 cup cherry or cranberry juice
- 6 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 cups unsweetened apple juice
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) pitted tart cherries, drained
- 12 to 16 drops red food coloring, optional
- Place ham on a rack in large roasting pan. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 3 hours.
- In a small saucepan, combine the brown sugar, cornstarch and mustard. Stir in cherry juice until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Spoon over ham. Bake 20-30 minutes longer or until a thermometer reads 140°. Remove from the oven; keep warm.
- For cherry sauce, in a large saucepan, combine the brown sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon and cloves. Stir in apple juice and vinegar until smooth. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat. Stir in cherries and food coloring if desired; heat through. Serve with ham.