Glazed Green Beans
I appreciate simple side dishes that allow me to focus on the main course. These simply seasoned green beans are a reliable addition to all of my menus.—Karen Scola, Worcester, Massachusetts
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1-1/4 pounds fresh green beans, trimmed
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1-1/4 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 4-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3 teaspoons minced fresh oregano
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon honey mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Place beans and garlic in a large saucepan; add broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until beans are crisp-tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine cornstarch and water until smooth. Stir in the lemon juice, oregano, oil, mustard and pepper; set aside.
- Drain beans, reserving 1 garlic clove and 1/4 cup broth. Place beans in a serving bowl and keep warm. In the same saucepan, mash reserved garlic clove; stir in reserved broth.
- Stir cornstarch mixture and gradually stir into broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Pour over beans and toss to coat. Sprinkle with feta cheese.
Nutrition Facts2/3 cup: 60 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 258mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Greek Accented Green Beans in Country Woman Christmas 2008