Glazed Fig & Almond Tart
Even people who say they normally don’t care for figs would enjoy this. The glazed fruit covers a smooth, luxurious filling of honey-sweetened cream cheese accented with lemon. —Lorraine Caland, Shuniah, Ontario
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 30 min.+ cooling
- 2/3 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 large egg yolks
- GLAZED FIGS:
- 1 pound dried figs (preferably Mission figs), stemmed and halved
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- OPTIONAL TOPPINGS:
- Sliced almonds, toasted
- Cnfectioners' sugar
- Place almonds in a food processor; cover and pulse until ground. Add flour; pulse to combine. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy; beat in egg yolks. Gradually add flour mixture and mix well. Press onto the bottom and up the sides of a greased 9-in. fluted tart pan with removable bottom. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a large saucepan, combine all ingredients for glazed figs; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until figs are tender. Uncover; cook an additional 5-10 minutes or until figs are glazed and 3 tablespoons liquid remains. Remove from the heat; cool completely.
- For filling, in a small bowl, beat the cream cheese, honey and lemon zest until smooth; spread over crust. Arrange figs over filling; drizzle with remaining liquid. Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate until chilled. Just before serving, sprinkle with almonds and confectioners' sugar if desired.
Editor's NoteTo toast nuts, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
Originally published as Candied Fig Tart in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2013
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.