Glazed Cornish Hen with Rice Pilaf
This easy but elegant entree makes a lovely centerpiece for a romantic Valentine's Day dinner. The peach-mustard glaze adds a sweet tang to the moist, tender poultry, which is perched on a mound of mildly seasoned pilaf. It's bound to draw praise from your sweetheart!
Total TimePrep: 70 min. Bake: 45 min. + standing
- 1/3 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 3 tablespoons uncooked wild rice
- 1/2 cup chopped peeled tart apple
- 1/4 cup white wine or apple juice
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- Dash curry powder
- 1/4 cup peach preserves
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon prepared horseradish
- 1/4 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1 Cornish game hen (20 to 24 ounces), split lengthwise
- Cook the long grain and wild rice according to package directions; drain. In a large bowl, combine the apple, white wine or apple juice, almonds, salt, poultry seasoning, curry powder and rice; set aside.
- In a small saucepan, combine the preserves, mustard, horseradish and tarragon. Cook and stir over medium heat until preserves are melted.
- Carefully loosen skin around hen breast, thighs and drumsticks. Set aside 1/4 cup glaze; spoon remaining glaze under skin.
- Place the rice mixture in two mounds in an 11x7-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray; arrange hen halves skin side up over rice.
- Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 45-55 minutes or until meat juices run clear. Let stand for 10 minutes. Remove and discard skin before serving. Warm reserved glaze; brush over hen halves.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 516 calories, 8g fat (1g saturated fat), 121mg cholesterol, 558mg sodium, 71g carbohydrate (28g sugars, 2g fiber), 33g protein.
Originally published as Glazed Cornish Hen with Rice Pilaf in Light & Tasty February/March 2002
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.