Glazed Corned Beef Brisket
Total TimePrep: 2-3/4 hours Bake: 25 min. + standing
- 1 corned beef brisket with spice packet (3 pounds), trimmed
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 celery rib, sliced
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2/3 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- Place corned beef and contents of seasoning packet in a Dutch oven; cover with water. Add onion and celery. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2-1/2 hours or until meat is tender. Drain and discard liquid and vegetables. Place beef on a rack in a shallow roasting pan; set aside.
- In a saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Cook and stir until sugar is dissolved. Brush over beef. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing.
Mar 23, 2016
I've been making this every year for Easter for over 10yrs and it's always a big hit. I think I'd be in trouble with my family if I didn't make it!! I don't alter anything and it always comes out great. I agree with cutting the amount of glaze in half.
Mar 29, 2014
Great way to cook corn beef and so easy. I only made half the glaze and it was plenty for a 3# roast. The left overs made terrific sandwiches. Next time I'm going to try the slow cooker while I'm at work. Then it will only take about half hour to finish up when I get home.
Mar 16, 2014
This is my go to recipe for corned beef. The only difference that I do us that I put my beef in the crock pot. So devious.
Mar 17, 2013
Used 2 3# briskets. Instead of Dutch oven, I put in crock pot, covered with boiling water, high for 1 hr, then medium for 5 1/2 hr. Then followed the rest of the recipe (except forgot to put vinegar in the glaze). Way too much glaze - half recipe still would have been enough. It was excellent.
Mar 13, 2012
I found this recipe in an old issue of TOH, (I save them all.) and it was a hit. My husband and I like it better then a roast. It is so tasty and tender. I have passed the recipe on to others. I did not use the horseradish though. I have stocked up on corned beef now just so we can have it year round!