Glazed Cinnamon-Walnut Coffee Cake
My husband and I work outside the home so we only have time for from-scratch breakfasts on the weekends. Our daughter enjoys slices of this coffee cake around the clock!
- 1-1/2 cups chopped walnuts
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 to 2-1/2 teaspoons milk
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the walnuts, 3/4 cup sugar and cinnamon; set aside. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; set aside. In a large bowl, combine the buttermilk, oil, egg, vanilla and remaining sugar. Add flour mixture; beat just until moistened.
- 2. Spread half of the batter into a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Sprinkle with 1-1/2 cups walnut mixture. Spread with remaining batter; top with remaining walnut mixture. Cut through batter with a knife to swirl.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Combine glaze ingredients; drizzle over coffee cake. Serve warm if desired or cool on a wire rack.
1 slice: 450 calories, 19g fat (2g saturated fat), 25mg cholesterol, 273mg sodium, 64g carbohydrate (38g sugars, 2g fiber), 10g protein.
Jan 16, 2019I made this, and it lasted 2 days. I reduced the sugar to 1 cup total (1/2 cup for the batter, 1/2 cup for the filling), and it was still plenty sweet. I was in a hurry and forgot to make the glaze, but it was still delicious. It would taste good with raisins so I will try that next time.
© 2020 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC