Glazed Cinnamon-Walnut Coffee Cake
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 1-1/2 cups chopped walnuts
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 to 2-1/2 teaspoons milk
- In a small bowl, combine the walnuts, 3/4 cup sugar and cinnamon; set aside. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; set aside. In a large bowl, combine the buttermilk, oil, egg, vanilla and remaining sugar. Add flour mixture; beat just until moistened.
- Spread half of the batter into a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Sprinkle with 1-1/2 cups walnut mixture. Spread with remaining batter; top with remaining walnut mixture. Cut through batter with a knife to swirl.
- Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Combine glaze ingredients; drizzle over coffee cake. Serve warm if desired or cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 450 calories, 19g fat (2g saturated fat), 25mg cholesterol, 273mg sodium, 64g carbohydrate (38g sugars, 2g fiber), 10g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 16, 2019
I made this, and it lasted 2 days. I reduced the sugar to 1 cup total (1/2 cup for the batter, 1/2 cup for the filling), and it was still plenty sweet. I was in a hurry and forgot to make the glaze, but it was still delicious. It would taste good with raisins so I will try that next time.