Glazed Chocolate Angel Food Cake Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups egg whites (about 10 large)
- 1 cup cake flour
- 2 cups sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons half-and-half cream
- 1. Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes.
- 2. Preheat oven to 350°. Sift flour, 1 cup sugar and cocoa together twice.
- 3. Add cream of tartar, vanilla and salt to egg whites; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating on high after each addition until sugar is dissolved. Continue beating until stiff glossy peaks form. Gradually fold in flour mixture, about 1/2 cup at a time.
- 4. Gently transfer to an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake on lowest oven rack 40-50 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched and cracks feel dry. Immediately invert pan; cool completely in pan, about 1 hour.
- 5. Run a knife around sides and center tube of pan. Remove cake to a serving plate. For glaze, in a microwave, melt chocolate chips with cream; stir until smooth. Drizzle over cake. Yield: 12 servings.
1 slice: 235 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 102mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (37g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Reviews for Glazed Chocolate Angel Food Cake
"Went together easier than I expected and was a hit with everyone. I will probably cut down the sugar a little bit next time though; it bordered on too sweet for me."
"So glad to find something that is low in fat and chocolate that tastes so good! I had to add more half and half to the glaze. It was way too thick to drizzle without it. Otherwise, perfect!"
"I really wanted to know if I could just add the cocoa to an angel food cake mix?"