Glazed Carrot Coins
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 12 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a saucepan, cook carrots in a small amount of water until crisp-tender; drain. Remove and keep warm. In the same pan, heat brown sugar and butter until bubbly. Stir in lemon zest. Return carrots to pan; cook and stir over low heat for 10-15 minutes or until glazed. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 172 calories, 6g fat (4g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 108mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (26g sugars, 4g fiber), 1g protein.
Jun 4, 2013
I've actually used this recipe way back, but I've turned to it again! I did add 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. salt to taste & to spice up this side dish,I added 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon! I substituted orange peel for the lemon peel and that gave it a delicious citrus flavor!I'd omitted the brown sugar & vanilla extract for my own recipe adaptation!It IS true that the brown sugar glazedoes give flavor! Now that I think of it,I used orange juice instead of brown sugar to glaze these carrots. Thank you, Pat Habiger, for sharing this recipe!Dawn E. Lowenstein