Glazed Candied Fruit Cookies
Even if your family doesn't care for fruitcake, they'll love these festive cookies studded with candied fruit and pecans. A caramel glaze adds a delectable touch on top. —Susan Hein, Burlington, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
Makesabout 6 dozen
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2/3 cup chopped candied pineapple
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/3 cup red candied cherries, chopped
- CARAMEL GLAZE:
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour and baking soda; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Stir in pineapple, pecans and cherries. Divide dough in half; shape each into a 9-in.-long roll; wrap each in plastic. Refrigerate 2 hours or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Unwrap and cut into 1/4-in. slices. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake 7-9 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a small saucepan, combine brown sugar and butter. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook and stir 30 seconds. Remove from heat; cool 5 minutes. Beat in confectioners' sugar and milk. Immediately drizzle over cookies. Let stand until set.
- To Make Ahead: Dough can be made two days in advance. Wrap in plastic and place in a resealable plastic bag. Store in the refrigerator.
- Freeze option: Place wrapped rolls in a resealable plastic freezer bag. To use, unwrap frozen rolls and cut into slices. If necessary, let dough stand a few minutes at room temperature before cutting. Bake and decorate as directed, increasing time by 1-2 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 77 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 34mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.