Glazed Brown Sugar Shortbread Cookies
Shortbread cookies are classics and always welcome on my table. But when I wanted to punch up the flavor a bit, I reached for the brown sugar. It gives these tender cookies a subtle caramel flavor. —Shirley Gardiner, Clearwater, Manitoba
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min./batch
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3-3/4 to 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons meringue powder
- 5 to 6 tablespoons warm water
- Paste food coloring
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Gradually stir in flour and mix well. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth, about 3 minutes. Roll dough to 1/3-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 3-in. shaped cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at 300° until bottoms are lightly browned, about 20-25 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For icing, in a large bowl, combine confectioners' sugar, water and meringue powder; beat on low speed just until blended. Beat on high until stiff peaks form, 4-5 minutes. Thin with water to desired consistency. Tint 1 cup of icing with food coloring; transfer to a pastry bag. Leave remaining icing white or tint a second color; transfer to a shallow dish. Keep unused icing covered at all times with a damp cloth. If necessary, beat again on high speed to restore texture.
- Dip a cookie into icing in dish; remove excess. Drizzle with second color. Use a toothpick to swirl the two colors together. Repeat with remaining cookies and icing. Let stand at room temperature until frosting is dry and firm, several hours. Store in an airtight container.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 136 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 48mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.