- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 egg, separated
- 3 to 4 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1 cup crushed cornflakes
- 9 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples (about 10 medium)
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a measuring cup, combine egg yolk and enough milk to measure 1/3 cup. Gradually add to the flour mixture, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Divide dough in half. Roll one portion into a thin 15x10-in. rectangle. Transfer to the bottom of an ungreased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Sprinkle with cornflakes.
- In a large bowl, combine apples, 1 cup sugar, 1-1/2 teaspoons cinnamon and nutmeg; toss to coat. Spoon over crust.
- Roll remaining dough into a thin 15x10-in. rectangle; place over apple filling. Beat egg white; brush over pastry. Combine remaining sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over the top. Bake 45-50 minutes or until golden brown.
- For glaze, combine confectioners' sugar, vanilla and enough milk to achieve a drizzling consistency. Drizzle over warm pastry. Cool completely on a wire rack. Cut into squares. Yield: 2 dozen.
Reviews forGlazed Apple Pie Squares
"Not enough dough for this size of a pan.Dough was way too thin win rolled out half. Had to make additional dough."
"Made this for our company picnic and got several requests for the recipe."
"This is excellent"
"I made this and didn't have cornflakes, so I used Total with raisins, then threw in a few more raisins. I also used a bit of almond flavouring for the glaze. This was so good, it was a good thing that my family came home when they did, otherwise it just may have 'disappeared' somewhere, and I would be napping with a huge smile on my face."
"I made these into small individual turnovers, much easier. Love the taste."
"I made this the other Day as I had Guests...it was a huge hit, I used Raw sugar rather that regular sugar and it was oh so delicious!"
"I have made these several times now. The first time I did them exactly as written with one exception - I used a 9X13 pan. My husband and I loved them. I have since made them with less sugar and still they are very, very good."
"I searched many recipes and picked this one. I'm glad I did!! I used fresh picked apples. I omitted the cornflakes, used the extra flour. It was sweet, rich flavored and held up very nicely as a bar. It got rave reviews and was gone quickly. Crust was tender and flakey!!! WOW"