- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Additional sugar
- Cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and molasses. In another bowl, whisk together the next six ingredients; gradually beat into creamed mixture, and mix well. Refrigerate, covered, for at least 4 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Shape tablespoonfuls of dough into balls; roll in additional sugar. Place 2 in. apart on lightly greased baking sheets.
- Bake until edges are lightly browned and tops are set and starting to crack, 8-10 minutes. Cool for 2 minutes before removing to wire racks. Yield: about 2 dozen.
"First time I ever made these from scratch. They turned out perfect."