VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 unbaked pastry shell (9 inches)
- 1/2 cup gingersnap crumbs (about 9 cookies)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 5 cups thinly sliced peeled pears (about 5 medium)
- Line unpricked pastry shell with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 450° for 8 minutes. Remove foil; bake 5 minutes longer. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a large bowl, combine the gingersnap crumbs, sugars, flour, salt and cinnamon. Cut in butter until crumbly. Place half the pear slices in crust. Top with half the crumb mixture. Repeat layers.
- Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until golden. Cool on a wire rack. Cover edges with foil during the last 30 minutes to prevent overbrowning if necessary. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Ginger Pear Pie in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2004, p140