Gingersnap Ice Cream Torte
My husband and I developed this sweet frozen treat featuring gingersnaps, caramel and ice cream. Since a little of this rich cake goes a long way, it'll easily feed a crowd.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 10 min. + freezing
- 2 cups finely crushed gingersnaps (about 40 cookies)
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 package (14 ounces) caramels
- 1/3 cup half-and-half cream or milk
- 1-1/2 cups cold milk
- 2 packages (3.4 ounces each) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1/2 gallon vanilla ice cream, softened
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- In a bowl, combine the gingersnaps, brown sugar and butter; set half aside. Press remaining mixture onto the bottom of a greased 9-in. springform pan. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes. Cool completely. In a microwave or heavy saucepan, melt caramels. Stir in cream until smooth; set aside.
- In a bowl, beat milk and pudding mixes on low speed for 2 minutes. Stir in ice cream until blended. Spoon half into the crust. Top with half of the reserved gingersnap mixture. Drizzle with half of the caramel sauce; sprinkle with half of the pecans. Repeat layers. Cover and freeze for at least 4 hours or until firm. Remove from the freezer 15 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 356 calories, 17g fat (9g saturated fat), 41mg cholesterol, 310mg sodium, 50g carbohydrate (37g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Gingersnap Ice Cream Torte in Country Woman Christmas 2002
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.