Gingersnap-Crusted Sweet Potato Cake
I like to bring one of these glazed sweet potato Bundt cakes as a special hostess gift during the holiday season. The icing looks pretty draping down the sides and it remains glossy even after it dries. —Catherine Wilkinson, Dewey, Arizona
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 65 min. + cooling
- 2 teaspoons plus 1 cup butter, softened, divided
- 1/3 cup finely crushed gingersnap cookies (about 6 cookies)
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cans (15-3/4 ounces each) sweet potatoes, drained and pureed
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Grease a 10-in. tube pan with 2 teaspoons butter and coat with crushed cookies; set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream sugar and remaining butter until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in sweet potatoes. Combine the flour, baking soda, ginger, salt and cloves; gradually add to the creamed mixture.
- Transfer to prepared pan. Bake at 350° for 65-75 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For glaze, in a small bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar, maple syrup and vanilla. Pour over top of cake, allowing glaze to drape over sides.
Originally published as Gingersnap Crusted Sweet Potato Cake with Maple Syrup Icing in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2013
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.