- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1 cup crushed gingersnap cookies (about 16 cookies)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- Pinch salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 pounds ripe pears (about 4 medium), peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Hot caramel ice cream topping, optional
- On a lightly floured surface, roll pastry dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim and flute edge. Refrigerate 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 400°.
- Line unpricked pastry with a double thickness of foil. Fill with pie weights, dried beans or uncooked rice. Bake 15-20 minutes or until edges are light golden brown. Remove foil and weights; bake 3-6 minutes longer or until bottom is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Reduce oven setting to 350°.
- For topping, in a food processor, combine crushed cookies, flour, brown sugar and salt. Add butter; pulse until crumbly.
- For filling, in a large bowl, mix sugar, flour, ginger and salt. Add pears, lemon juice and vanilla; toss gently to combine. Transfer to crust; cover with topping.
- Place pie on a baking sheet; bake 60-70 minutes or until topping is lightly browned and pears are tender. Cover loosely with foil during the last 15 minutes if needed to prevent overbrowning. Cool on a wire rack at least 1 hour before serving. If desired, drizzle with caramel topping. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forGingersnap Crumb Pear Pie
"Really good! I omitted the bottom layer pie crust. I greased an 8x8" pan and put the pear filling in there and topped it with the gingersnap crust. I cooked for a little over 30 minutes. I used about 3 pounds of ripe pears, cutting away some bad parts. Also I put a little preserved ginger in with the pears, not much. Very simple once you don't have to make a pie crust. I also used a gluten free flour mix without any problems."